November 27, 2008

Black Friday Power Breakfast

It’s no secret that Thanksgiving is actually two holidays. One with turkey and one with shopping! My mom, my sister and I love to get up early on Black Friday and hunt for deals. The crowds or packed parking lots never really bothered us, it was always just a fun girls day out and a way to kick off the Christmas season.

If you are planning on hitting those 5 AM door buster sales, I recommend jumpstarting your morning with a hearty power breakfast to get you through a long day of shopping. With this recipe for slow cooker oatmeal, you simply add all your ingredients the night before and wake up to a hot breakfast in the morning. Plus, it is a healthy way start the day after all the Thanksgiving indulgences!




Overnight Oatmeal

8 cups water
2 cups steel-cut oats, like McCann's in the tin. It has to be this nugget-type of oatmeal and NOT the flakes.
1/3 cup dried cranberries, blueberries, or your favorite
1/3 cup dried apricots, chopped, or raisins, or other favorite
1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
any spices you like or it can be plain. I like cinnamon!

Combine all ingredients in a 5 to 6- quart slow cooker. Turn heat to low. Put on the lid and cook until the oats are tender and creamy, about 7-8 hours. Makes 8 servings, about 1 cup each. I also love tossing in some toasted nuts or flaxseed to the cooked oatmeal.



Here, I made my oatmeal with dried figs and dates. I topped it with a handful of toasted hazelnuts and a drizzle of honey. This is what I happened to have in my pantry, but the possibilities are endless!

Other possible combinations:
-dried mango and pineapple topped with a sprinkle of shredded coconut
-dried apples and raisins with a dash of nutmeg and topped with pecans or walnuts
-dried blueberries and cranberries and a swirl of lingonberry jam before serving



Print this post

0 comments:

Post a Comment